CHILDREN’S BOOK SALES ON THE RISE!
Excellent news for the children’s book industry was revealed at a Nielsen Summit held in September in New York. Jonathan Nowell, president of Nielsen Book, shared the following encouraging statistics.
- Children’s book sales are up 12.6% in the US for the period between January 2014 and September 2015.
- 11 of the 20 best-selling books in the US are children’s titles.
- Print sales in the juvenile market have grown 40% in the last decade, with 5% of that market share growth in the last three years.
- Books aimed at 5-8 year olds account for 38% of all children’s book sales.
- 80% of all YA books being bought are purchased by adults.
- The growth of multicultural consumers provides statistical basis for increasing the number of multicultural titles. Today’s children under the age of nine are split 50/50 between multicultural and white.
These numbers provide excellent motivation for SCBWI members: it’s a good time to be in the children’s book field.